Living A Healthy Lifestyle Starts One Habit At A Time
Thank you so much for tuning in and listening to what I have to say! I wanted to start out by talking about getting started. This can be getting started with anything you've been wanting to start! Today I will specifically talk about getting started on your health journey. I have clients come to me and say, I have no idea where to even begin! I feel I am so far from where I want to be and I feel lost. My first response to that is, what is one thing you can do today that will move you closer to where you want to go? Choose ONE thing!
Living a healthy lifestyles is small habits made over time that compound in great results. Its starts with making ONE small change in your day to day life. If your goal is to lose weight and live healthier, most of the time the approach that I will take with my clients is first noticing what their strengths are, then finding areas of improvement. Lets see what you do really well, then lets try and pin point your blind spots. We all have them! Once the blind spots have been found, lets say for example they are not making any time to prioritize movement, that is where we will start. Lets also say this persons strengths are thinking of others and always prioritizing others over themselves! Once I know the strengths, I know what motivates them. So, I can motivate them now to move more if I can get them to do it for someone else, or maybe they can have someone they care about do this with them either in person or virtually, there are lots of options here.
Step one to habit change is starting very small. If I wanted to set this person up to fail, I would tell them to go take a walk 5 days a week, then check back in with me next week and let me know how you did. NOOOOO! Instead, I want them to succeed, I want them to pick one day out the week, also pick a time and a location for where they want to walk. I want them to envision what they will be wearing, how far they will walk, where they walk, who they will walk with if anyone. I want them to see this so clearly in their mind that they can small the flowers they are walking by. Once they can clearly see it, we start planning that once a week walk. We commit to that. I check in with them next week and see how they did! She got it in! She walked for 30 minutes without stopping!! YAY! Ok, lets try that same thing about next week. Next week rolls around, how did she do?! She did NOT get it in this week... oh no. Did she fail? No, creating a habit takes time and consistency! Instead of looking at as she failed we try it again! Once she can get that once a week walk in for two weeks straight, that habit is being formed!! YES!! Its takes on average about 3 weeks to stick to ONE habit. So the only thing that makes people fail in habit change is impatience. You have to be patient with yourself and the process!! You have to enjoy the process! Focus on the journey and not the destination. I know we are really wanting to get to end result, but that takes YEARS of consistent action.
Years later, once those tiny habits have consistently been made over time, we can all look back and see how far you have come! Start small, and take the tiniest step forward. I will be here to cheer you on!!
Comments
Post a Comment